Skip to main content

If You Liked This Book, Then Read This

For today I made a simple graphic highlight a number of 2022 books. These are all books I've read this year that I can't get enough of.  For some students, sometimes that familiar book is just the next step to push them towards something fresh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HyperDocs: Creating Ownership Through Exploration

HyperDocs are here, and the potential for student exploration and engagement seems bountiful. But hold up— Before we delve into the potential, what is a HyperDoc? The short answer is: It's a Google Doc with a variety of links that leads to a number of different tasks. Once students receive this doc, they're free to explore it in any order and any pace of their choosing. But to sum up a HyperDoc as a Google Doc with just a bunch of links would be the equivalent of saying Moby Dick  is a book about a whale. To be so reductive is to miss the point. To see a full HyperDoc Click Here Going Beyond the Workshop Model As an ELA teacher, I'm a workshop model kind of guy. Walk into my class at any given moment, and you know what you will see. The first ten minutes? Reading. The next five to ten minutes? Quick Write. Followed by mini-lessons, workshop time and sharing somewhere in-between. It's routine (and never boring). Often times, I map out my work weeks in advan...

How to Upload Videos for Student Access

Hi fellow educators, I know we're delving into uncharted territory here with iLearning. After listening to Kristin Ziemke, author of Read the World, talk about the value of face time with our students, I started to really consider how my students are seeing me. Despite my initial reluctance, I decided to record videos for them. I want to find ways to build student/teacher relationships in this tough time. But what I realized quickly was Screencastify (as amazing as it is) uploads at the speed of snail. So with that in mind, I found an alternative way of uploading videos. I hope you find this helpful: If you have any questions, feel free to drop a comment below. Wishing you the best of luck on these new future endeavors. All the best, Daniel Valentin Daniel Valentin teaches American Dream, British Literature and English 9 at Horace Greeley High School. He is currently reading Slay by Brittney Morris and is listening to Stamped by Jason Reynolds and Ibram X. Kendi. He w...

A Gallery Walk in American Wilderness

The first week of school was met with the usual jitters and excitement. My school had its debut of a gorgeous new renovated space with more glass, nooks, and crannies than I can properly do it justice. It's a flexible space, and the opportunities seem endless. This year, I started my American Wilderness with the Imagine Our Parks with Poems project. The project "...commissioned fifty poets to write poems about a park in each of the fifty states. This project is part of Imagine Your Parks, a grant initiative from the National Endowment for the Arts created in partnership with the National Park Service to support projects that use the arts to engage people with the memorable places and landscapes of the National Park System." My idea was students could canvas a large portion of the United States, seeing various states of wilderness and the state's identity. Using these poems as mentor texts, my hope was students would utilize their Writer's Notebook starting ...